Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Sun. The Sea.

After three days I left Phnom Penh and took the bus down Highway #4 to the sea.
Back to Sihanoukville, the end of the road.
Home of white sandy beaches, laid-back bars and cheap ganja.
Also the home of my ex-familiy-in-law...

Got off the bus and found myself a room. A dirty place with a lousy fan and a filthy mattress but with a great view of the sea, a nice balcony and reasonable wifi. It’s all a matter of trade-offs.

On my first morning in town I made a final visit to my ex-mother in law. She’s a wonderful person and was still happy to see me. But I won’t going back there no more.
It was the family life that made me so happy on previous visits. I’ve never been part of a big, warm family but here, for 1 month a year, I was a brother, a son, a nephew, a part of something good. A family man.

This time around only the sun and the sea are able to soothe my senses (a bit). After all the shit came down back home, I’ve been looking forward to this holiday as a light at the end of the tunnel.
Now I’m here but it doesn’t matter.
My whole world has changed except me.

Being unable to meet new people in a chilled-out beach town is not a good sign for times to come...

Variance’s not on my side. A few days ago I got bitten by a dog. My toes are all cut up and bleeding (from walking too much in cheap flip-flops). I hate sitting alone in restaurants. I hate waking up in the morning and realizing what’s up (not much).
I know I’ve got only myself to blame. (If it’s not working, try harder) Still, I'm tired of traveling. Don't know where to go next.

Paradise’s not a place.
It are people you’re with.
Another lesson learned, too late and the hard way...

No comments:

Post a Comment