Monday, January 11, 2010

Minus Zero (and below)

The year started hot as hell.
But only for a very short moment in time.

Everything dropped below zero.
Quick and nasty.

It's been freezing for weeks now.
(Snow and ice everywhere)
I keep checking my phone but it never rings.
(You have zero missed calls, ten times a day)
I've been losing heavily on Full Tilt for the last week.
(Even needed to drop down to the $36 Sit 'n Go's again)

Everything zero or less.

Somehow the snow and ice annoys me a lot more than my poker losses.

Not so long ago I considered going pro after a winning day
(so skilled at hitting rivers, you know)
and considered quitting
(just another degenerate gambler)
after losing a few hundred bucks.

Nowadays I start to finally grasp the ideas of variance, randomness and 'the long run'.
It's a game of small edges. Suck outs and bad beats are just a part of it.
After about five thousand games I feel confident in my sit 'n go- skills.
Of course, it's hard to stay sharp and focused after losing for days in a row.
But that's what it takes.
Dropped -$1K in a week.
It makes me feel slightly annoyed.
Like a mild headache, nothing serious.
It forced me to abandon the $60-games for now, that's about it.
It will take some time to build up my bankroll again.
But I'll get it all back and more (at least).
Variance is a part of life.
It can be ugly, filthy and 'unfair'.
Either deal with it or sit in a corner and cry.
I made my choice.
I've got a plan, I've got dedication and discipline.
That should be enough to get trough the rough parts.
Going broke is simply not an option.
Get filthy rich or get lost while trying.

But...
If only this filthy, filthy snow would go away,
everything would be almost alright.
Freezing to the bone, freezing to the soul
Whiskey and warm clothes can only do so much.
It's getting to me,
this damned cold, this dirty snow and slippery roads...

Need to get away from this
cold, cold winter...

No comments:

Post a Comment