Saturday, February 6, 2010

Down The River (To The Sea)


It would be kind of sad to only play Rush Poker out here.
So we went daytripping...
Took the old Toyota Corolla out on Highway #4 to the National Park again. This time for more than just a fresh sea food lunch. My sister-in-law is in the know about dudes with boats. So we got this boat trip going. Down the river in a small, small traditional Khmer fishing boat. Passed mangroves and swamps, birds and fishing people all the way to the sea. We tried to spot dolphins there... I only saw water move (probably waves) but my wife insisted it was the real deal... Whatever, the only dolphin I’ve ever seen is the one on top of the Dolphin Shack, on Occheuteal Beach, where they serve cheap nasty ‘Vodka & Redbull’-buckets ‘till sunrise. Anyway, never mind that place. Today it’s all about the great outdoors. Wildlife doesn’t do much for me. But I’m a big sucker for sandy white beaches. That was the next stop. Fresh sea food lunch, after all, but at a beautiful, empty beach.
My kind of place
Angkor beer and fish barbecue, the perfect cure for too much poker.
Although I have to admit; I secretly listened to the Two Plus Two Pokercast on my iPod while the rest of us were sleeping away the afternoon heat... White sand between my toes, the ocean in front of me and talk about cards, flops and pot odds in my ears...
Late afternoon, we did a little bit of walking trough the jungle back to our little boat. Going back upriver while listening the Dylan’s ‘Highway 61 Revisted’...
Out of the boat and into the car.
Rolling into town 'round sunset.
Heavily sunburned and tired as hell.
This day in the outdoors washed away all of the Phnom Penh craziness...
My sleep troubles are solved, slept like a baby all night long.
Waking up early the next day,
feeling clean and fresh.
Starting up Full Tilt, all happy and confident.
But still losing at Rush Poker.
Losing money, losing happiness.
Lost 3 buy-ins in an hour...
Maybe I should forget about poker while I’m still here.
Just enjoy my days in the sunshine.
Let’s say another 1000 hands and I’ll quit...
(one thousand hands or maybe a few more)

No comments:

Post a Comment